Monday, September 10, 2012

Working from the Center

As I mentioned last week, Touchstone Farm is hosting an Open Centered Riding Clinic with Mitzi Summers on September 18-20. Roxy and I plan to attend, even though we’ve attended two other Centered Riding clinics in the last year.

Centered Riding is an approach to riding instruction that focuses on better communication between horse and rider. It was developed by Sally Swift, who lived right down the road in Brattleboro, VT.

As the official website says, Centered Riding
“… teaches you how to help your body do what you need to do in order to ride well. Centered Riding techniques help promote suppleness, stability, and clearer aids, making riding more comfortable for both horse and rider. As you learn and experience the principles through your horse's motion and responses, you and your horse tune in to each other and work together in harmony. These techniques can increase confidence and enjoyment and release tension in horses and riders, making training easier.”
As I’ve experienced it, two elements of Centered Riding have most helped me improve my riding, and given me tools for monitoring how Roxy and I work together:
  • Understanding what horseback riding is like from the horse’s perspective. I thought I knew, but I didn’t. In one of my favorite exercises, riders pair up, with one rider resting a bridle around her neck and holding the bit in her hands while the other rider holds the reins as if riding.
  • The bridle exercise: I'm taking my role as horse very seriously.

    The “horse” quickly discovers that a very light touch on the reins still comes through loud and clear. Hands that move constantly, that wander, that slacken and then pull, or that yank on the reins are really, really unpleasant. The rider's actual intent is harder to discern, too.

    The “rider” realizes how steady, consistent contact with the bit, and therefore with the horse’s mouth, enables her to give her horse quick, subtle aids that the horse can immediately recognize and respond to. It is SO much less work for much better results.

    I loved discovering that I can be gentle without being uncertain when I use my aids to communicate with my horse.
  • Learning wonderfully vivid imagery that helps me remember and use Centered Riding techniques when I ride. For example, to develop a steady but supple hold on the reins, I now think of holding a bird in each hand: too loose and they’ll fly off; too tight and I’ll hurt them; in between is just right. Centered Riding is full of these memorable images, and they work.

The clinics are a lot of fun, even when you are not on your horse. Participants with a wide range of riding experience have attended the previous clinics at Touchstone Farm. Both English and Western riders attend. All of us have a great time, learn a lot, and … did I mention that the food is great?

See you around the farm.

Kathy McDonald
Rider and Volunteer at Touchstone Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment