Monday, August 13, 2012

All Ears

Some people think that horses are expressionless and therefore must not have much personality. I think these unfortunate souls must not spend time around horses. Horses are incredibly expressive. You just need to know where to look.

True, as prey animals with wide-set eyes, horses can’t express themselves with eye contact in the same way that dogs and cats can, though their gaze can tell you a lot. I personally think that the ears are the window to a horse’s soul.

Roxy: "You rang?"
Even viewed from behind, Roxy’s ears have plenty to tell me when we ride. I can see by the positions of her ears whether she is attentive to me or something else, distracted, puzzled, or relaxed.

A case in point: At the end of my lesson this past Friday, I directed Roxy to walk down the center of the ring to meet our instructor, Denise Hopkins. Roxy loves Denise – so much so that Roxy would stop to pay a social call on Denise every time we pass her in the ring if I didn't insist otherwise.

Here’s what Roxy’s ears had to say in the few seconds it took us to head down the center line:

  • OK, I’m turning the way Kathy asked. [neutral ears drooping a bit to the sides]
  • Oh look – Denise is just ahead of us. [both ears forward]
  • Will Kathy let me visit Denise? [one ear turned back to me]
  • Hmm. So far Kathy isn’t directing me away from Denise. [ears forward and then back to me].
  • I’m getting closer to Denise. [both ears forward]
  • Is Kathy going to ask me to turn before I get there? [one ear back and then forward and then back]
  • She isn’t! She’s letting me visit Denise. [both ears forward]
  • Oh, Denise! Here I am!! [both ears forward and then relaxed out to the sides]
Roxy: "What have we here?"
Denise and I were shaking our heads and laughing as Roxy’s inner dialog broadcast itself through her rapidly moving ears. And Roxy got just what she hoped for – hugs and pats and an “I love you” from one of her favorite people.

Roxy expressionless? I think not.

See you around the farm.

Kathy McDonald
Rider and Volunteer at Touchstone Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment